Friday, September 2, 2011

Blue Velvet Chair

We found these chairs a while ago at the Faith Farm Thrift store for $4.00 each.  They were pretty crusty.  I pointed them out to my sister and she loved the idea of them, but oh, they were bad.  The velvet was in horrible condition and the foam was disintigrating, but for $4.00, whatever.
I painted the legs using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.  I gave them two coats and then sanded down them down a bit to get the aged look.
We had them refoamed and reupholstered.  There was no way I would attempt this on my own.  My sister bought a high quality upholstery blue velvet from a local fabric store. It was kind of pricey at $35 a yard, but the quality and texture of the fabric seemed worth it.  It's hard to tell in the photograph. I didn't want to destroy the fabric, so we left it to the professionals.
 Here's the back of the chair with a few nailheads.
Pretty, right?  They will be used in my sisters dining room along with the two chevron chairs and the Turquoise Chandelier.  The crazy thing is, my sister has decided to rent out her apartment and move to Paris for 6 months.  After all that work!  I think I've figured out why I'm so exhausted lately. I'm back at work, trying to workout (which I am now doing Crossfit and it WEARS me out), some other crazy stuff, and trying to wrap up all the projects for my sister's place.  I am beat.  Writing that just got me even more tired. I'll be photographing my sisters apartment this weekend. We weren't able to finish everything, but it is a huge and adorable transformation.  Have a great weekend.

14 comments:

Cassie Bustamante 9/02/2011  

LOOVE it! those legs are awesome and the blue is too sweet!

Katie 9/02/2011  

OMG! What a difference a little paint and new fabric makes. I love it! Great job.

Anonymous,  9/02/2011  

Yep - lovin' it!! :)

Jae 9/02/2011  

Super cute. Love the new color.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys 9/02/2011  

Great eye! The fabric looks so pretty.

I still have to get the info of your reupholstery guy. ;)

Ali Richardson 9/02/2011  

SO SO COOL! I love the way they came out!!!
WHAT?? Paris!? Super jealous!

The Belvedere-Alyssa 9/02/2011  

Just found your blog, i love your projects! What a great sister you are!

Would love to see these at the table. :)

studio1404 9/02/2011  

Gorgeous! I recently inherited a very similar chair. You have inspired me!!!

Jamie 9/04/2011  

These look great! Love the fabric...totally worth the investment, in my opinion.

I am a new visitor and follower from Salvage Savvy!

Jamie
day-and-age-design.com

Lesley 9/04/2011  

Argggg....stop being so good at EVERYTHING! :)

Ashley 9/07/2011  

Oh, my, that chair looks insanely good. Want to park it at my place for awhile!?

I may have missed a post, but congrats on the job! :)

Milla 9/08/2011  

Wow that's a lot of tufting! Amazing job! Love the color too. Your sister's dining room i going to look great.

Unknown 9/09/2011  

OMG for 4$ how come i cant find any of these prices at my local thrift store!!! the chair turned out great...great job

Jenny @ Simcoe Street 10/03/2011  

Absolutely love the blue!!!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...