Thursday, August 4, 2011

Guest Post - Design Build Love

I'm so glad to introduce you to one of the sweetest bloggers (and she's also a redhead), Ashely from Design Build Love.  They are remodeling their entire house, which we did. I'm excited to follow along and see what they do. 

Hi y'all, I'm Ashley and I blog over at Design Build Love! J and J Homes happens to be one of my favorite blogs, so I am super excited to be guest blogging over here!
HEADER
If you happen to head over to my blog, you might notice that I often refer to my blog as "our" blog and that's because I have an amazing husband named Eric, who's always by my side to join in on each and every project I dream up! This is us:
summer-2010-319
We're just young, newlywed professionals who moonlight as designers/home-improvement-DIYers! We're always happy to try just about any home improvement or design project!

Anywho... on to the outdoors! If you follow our blog, it's no secret that we've been feverishly working on our front and back yards for most of the spring and summer, but I just thought I'd give you guys a quick snapshot of our front yard.

We started with a fairly unattractive situation when we bought our house. Things were ugly, poorly groomed, and sparse. It's safe to say that little love when into this from the previous owners...
122
126
IMG_1634
After holding out for a little over a year (while we tackled some major projects inside), we finally plunged, head-first into some major tearing out and prepping of the planters, and ended up with this!
IMG_2119
IMG_2124 v 2
IMG_2071
IMG_2131
You can see more pictures of the process here and here, but our basic steps were tearing out everything, rototilling the dirt, laying a drip system, planting plants, placing weed cloth, and bringing in the rock to finish it off!

We even potted some flowers to make the front entry more inviting! (please ignore the unpainted strip on the door... it's temporary while we're refinishing our solid mahogany door) The pots were a sweet birthday score from my momma! Being the amazing shopper that she is, she snagged these heavy duty, painted pots at Ross for $12 and $15! Score!!! And they totally compliment the colors inside our home!
IMG_2128
Overall, we are absolutely IN LOVE with our new curb appeal! Our favorite things is probably the rock, the Mexican Petunias, and the Sweet Pea bushes.
IMG_2066
IMG_2061
All-in-all, we're super proud of what we accomplished and can't wait to see all of the plants flourish! DIYing all of it saved us some serious cash, as well as buying the less mature plants! So, cruise on over to the blog for updates on the growth! Oh ya... and see that paver patio just behind the plants... that's new too and we'll hopefully be DIYing a bench for that spot in the near future!!! After that, the bench just might be our new favorite thing!
IMG_2758
I hope y'all stop by our blog for a visit! We'd love to have you!

~Ashley

This reminds me that my house needs some major curb appeal. We lost a bunch of out trees when we had the house tented a year and half ago and...let's just leave it at that.  I'm so glad you all got to meet Ashley here today.  Go over there and say hi. 

6 comments:

Unknown 8/04/2011  

Looks great! Love your coral bells :)

ARK 8/04/2011  

That sweet pea bush looks fabulous - do you know what zones it grows in??

Ashley@ DesignBuildLove.co 8/04/2011  

Thanks for having me Jeanne! The sweet pea bushes are fairly hardy plants- we have them planted in the sun and in the shade and they seem to thrive in both. We live in Northern California, where the temperatures range from 28-110 degrees! :) Hope that helps!

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode 8/04/2011  

I am really loving how the garden looks with the plants surrounded by river pebbles. It's a nice clean look.

Sherree 8/05/2011  

I love the flower bed. We planted some of the Mexican Petunia's and love them. I do hope that you love them, because they love multiplying. I love the way that they have new blooms each day. Have a blessed weekend.

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking 8/08/2011  

Ok, so this totally puts my garden to shame! I love what you guys have done! It looks fab! I am especially swooning over those gorgeous pots of flowers at the front door!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...